For Purposes of Applying for the Administration of IV Therapies Specialty
Per Business and Professions Code section 3640.8, expressly permits the administration of intravenous (IV) Therapies by licensed naturopathic doctors practicing in California. There is no requirement that licensed naturopathic doctors who do not administer IV therapies complete IV training given by providers approved under this section.
Provider approval by the Board for IV Therapy training requirements does not equate to a general grant of approval for continuing education courses for California NDs. Providers seeking approval for continuing education courses must still separately obtain approval from one of the other statutorily mandated approvers.
Standards for Compliance
California law requires that a naturopathic doctor must first satisfy the following criteria in order to administer intravenous (IV) therapies (BCP section 3648.8 (a)(1) and (2):
- Has a current naturopathic doctor license in California
- Has completed a qualifying course on IV therapy from a course provider approved by the Board.
Questions about the provider and course application process should be directed to the Board at email@example.com.
Licensee Intravenous Therapy (IVT) Specialty Application Process (for IVT specialty and expanded scope of practice)
- To apply for the Board’s approval as an IV therapy specialty license holder please see the Licensee IVT Specialty Application (form ND- 200A), which can be found below.
- Items that will assist the Board in making a determination should be attached to the application:
- Curriculum Vitae (not needed for newly licensed NDs)
- Certificate of Completion of IV Therapy Training
- Email electronic copies of application and attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Board will also accept a faxed copy of application and attachments to (916) 928-4787. An original copy of the application and attachments can also be mailed to:
California Board of Naturopathic Medicine
1300 National Drive, Suite 150
Sacramento, CA 95834-1991
- The Board will respond to the application by providing either a confirmation, denial, or request for more information. If you have not received a response within 30 days, please contact the Board at email@example.com.